The annual contest postmark deadline is November 30th. Entries postmarked after November 30th, or submitted in any manner other than specified in the directions below, will be disqualified and unread. No exceptions.
Guidelines for Prose Entries
- Must be typed and double-spaced
- Entries must be page-numbered
- Paper clip — do not staple — all entries.
- Please indicate the word count in the upper right of the title page.
Guidelines for Poem Entries
- Must be typed. Either double- or single-spaced is okay. See categories for specific formatting instructions.
- Poems must be one page long only.
- Include only one poem per page (two-column one-page-poems are fine).
- All poems must contain a title.
- Note that poetry is judged individually, not in sets.
Guidelines for All Entries
- Since entries all judged blind, do not put your name on your submissions.
- Do not use your real name if referring to yourself in your contest entry. These entries will be disqualified.
- Enclose one 3″ x 5″ index card typed, affixed with a printed label or legibly printed with your name, address, phone, fax, email address, title(s) of entry(ies), and the particular category/categories you are entering. If we can’t read your handwriting, we will have problems trying to contact you.
- Indicate your entry’s category on your manuscript as well as on the index card.
- Enclose $5 per entry payable to NLAPW.
- Young Adult entrants must indicate their age on the index card and on their entry.
- Previously published works are accepted in every category except Novel Excerpt.
- You may enter as many categories and as many times as you wish. Each entry must be accompanied by the $5 entry fee. (International entrants, please send a Travelers Check drawn on a USA bank.)
- No entries will be returned.
- Please do not send substitutions or revisions of work after initial submission. They will not be accepted.
- Do not submit the same work in more than one category.
- Do not re-submit a work that has previously earned a Soul-Making Keats award.
- We do not accept e-mailed entries, or entries sent by special delivery, certified mail, or registered mail.
- All instructions for submitting to this competition are detailed in the guidelines above. Requests for exceptions will be discarded.
Entries that do not adhere to the guidelines will be disqualified. Entry fees are nonrefundable.
Winners will be announced and posted on our website early the following year in January or February.
Mail your entries to:
1544 Sweetwood Drive
Broadmoor Village, CA 94015-2029