The annual contest postmark deadline is November 30th. No exceptions.
Guidelines for Prose Entries
- Must be typed and double-spaced
- Entries must be page-numbered
- Paper clip — don’t staple– all entries.and paper-clipped.
- Please indicate the word count in the upper right of the title page.
Guidelines for Poem Entries
- Must be typed. Either double- or single-spaced is okay.
- Poems must be one page long only.
- Include only one poem per page (two-column one-page-poems are fine).
- All poems must contain a title.
- Note that poetry is judged individually, not in sets.
Guidelines for All Entries
- Since entries all judged blind, do not put your name on your submissions.
- Do not use your real name if referring to yourself in your contest entry. These entries will be disqualified.
- Enclose one 3″ x 5″ index card typed, affixed with a printed label or legibly printed with your name, address, phone, fax, email address, title(s) of entry(ies), and the particular category/categories you are entering. If we can’t read your handwriting, we will have problems trying to contact you.
- Indicate your entry’s category on your manuscript as well as on the index card.
- Enclose $5 per entry payable to NLAPW.
- Young Adult entrants must indicate their age on the index card and on their entry.
- Previously published works are accepted in every category except Novel Excerpt.
- You may enter as many categories and as many times as you wish. Each entry must be accompanied by the $5 entry fee. (International entrants, please send a Travelers Check drawn on a USA bank.)
- No entries will be returned.
- Please do not send substitutions or revisions of work after initial submission. They will not be accepted.
- Do not submit the same work in more than one category.
- Do not re-submit a work that has previously earned a Soul-Making Keats award.
- We do not accept e-mailed entries, or entries sent by special delivery, certified mail, or registered mail.
Entries that do not adhere to the guidelines will be disqualified. Entry fees are nonrefundable.
Winners will be announced and posted on our website early the following year in January or February. The awards event for the 2020 competition will occur on Sunday, March 21, 2021, at the SF Public Library Main Branch’s Koret Auditorium.
Mail your entries to:
1544 Sweetwood Drive
Broadmoor Village, CA 94015-2029